Atmospheric Water Generation (AWG)

The shortage of fresh water is constantly increasing due to population growth, economic development, and changing consumption patterns. As a result, the global demand for water has been increasing by approximately 1% per year. The lack of water is a matter of global priority since water is an element of survival for living beings.

The UN world water development report states that currently around 3.42 billion people experience acute fresh water shortage since part of the available freshwater still suffers from serious pollution problems, and the demand for freshwater will continue to grow by nearly one-third by the year 2050.

Global Water Supply

Despite the fact that a vast amount of water exists on the planet, most of it (around 97%) has high salt content, therefore being unsuitable for human consumption. While the rest of it is found as freshwater (around 3%), 70% of it is frozen and about 30% exists in the form of moisture or in underground aquifers.

There are approximately 3100 cubic miles of water in the atmosphere, 98% of which are in the form of vapor, and 2% in the form of clouds. In other words, the amount of water in atmospheric air is about 14,000 km3 compared to only about 1200 km3 of fresh water on earth.

Water Harvesting Concept

Although atmospheric water harvesting is a very old concept, the technology that uses energy from renewable resources such as solar power is relatively new and is a potential under-explored component of the water solutions portfolio. But with continued climate change and the growth of the world’s population, it is becoming more and more important.

Fortunately, businesses are actively transitioning towards a renewable, sustainable business model, constantly looking for alternatives to supply freshwater without affecting the environment and reducing water scarcity, atmospheric water generation being the most pioneering solution nowadays.

The process of cooling the air humidity mixture to a temperature below the dew point is causing moisture condensation and water harvesting, which depend on atmospheric air, creating huge and renewable water deposits. Producing water from the air is a sustainable practice through the intelligent use of the most abundant and unlimited supply of water available.

Water Conversion Technology

Devices that harvest water from the atmosphere are called atmospheric water generators (AWGs) and can be used successfully both in arid areas with low moisture content and in humid areas with high moisture content.

The financial performance of the AWG machines demonstrates an attractive substitute product in the majority of locations. However, the results also indicate that the current state of AWG does not yet provide an economically viable alternative for potable tap water or nondrinking water sources.

Of course, variables such as temperature, humidity, radiation, and wind might impact AWG use by controlling their capacity to capture water.

AWG Market Size

As countries are exploring independent, scalable, and resilient technology for water security, the demand for atmospheric water generators (AWGs) is expected to accelerate.

Moreover, policies conducive to establishing water infrastructure are anticipated to augment the demand for atmospheric water generators over the forecast period.

The global atmospheric water generator market, in terms of revenue, is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 9.0% from 2022 to 2030 to reach USD 4.56 billion by 2030.


AWG Market Size


Rising water scarcity, depleting groundwater levels, global supply chain disruptions, and various government initiatives are some of the factors that are likely to boost AWG demand. 

Therefore because of its importance, and being an economically viable product, investors can diversify their portfolios by successfully acquiring water-related assets and investments.


Please feel free to explore our Exceptional Investment Opportunities in Renewable Water Industry Sector


Print   Email